Democracy is in Retreat...Tisch College is Trying to Figure Out How to Bring it Back
Posted byon July 18, 2018 at 6:11 PM
A few weeks ago (June 21-23) the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life (one of the Bridge Alliance’s strategic partners) hosted its annual Frontiers of Democracy Conference. The purpose of the conference is to bring together scholars, activists, journalists, government workers, etc. to reverse the decline of democracy, which -- according to Freedom House -- has been in a worldwide retreat for over a decade now.
In the lead up to the gathering, the National Conference on Citizenship (NCoC) generously offered to cover the cost of one ticket for each fellow Bridge Alliance member organization, as well as pay for travelling and lodging for Bridge Alliance presenters. The result was an agenda with a strong Alliance presence. Among the presenters were:
- Josh Silver - Represent.Us
- Michele Holt-Shannon and Bruce Mallory - New Hampshire Listens
- Cheryl Graeve and Makayla Meachem - National Institute for Civil Discourse
- Quinn Formel and Ada Vargas - Democracy Works
- Terril Bouricius - FairVote
- Courtney Breese - National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation (NCDD)
- Kathy Goldschmidt - Congressional Management Foundation
- The Living Room Conversations Team
- Tracey DeFrancesco - ProCon.org
- John Gable - AllSides
- Julie Mashack - 92Y
- Matt Leighninger - Public Agenda
We are delighted that so many Bridge Alliance members were able to take advantage of this opportunity and offer their expertise at this incredibly important event. We are also grateful to Tisch College for hosting this event every year. Our nation is in crisis and Tisch College’s efforts to bring together the country’s best problem solvers is an important part of the solution.
As always, thank you for your support.
Member Organizations in the News: