Daily Resource Highlight - 9/13/2021
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on September 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
September 9, 2021 - The 2021 Diversity Report -- A Journey to Empower ALL Americans
Whenever I interview someone for our internship program, I always ask the very important question of “Are you comfortable promoting the work of organizations you disagree with?” This is a make or break question, because it is our job to raise the voices of everybody in the Bridge Alliance community, regardless of our personal views.
The Bridge Alliance Diversity Report is a natural extension of this mindset. Our mission is to achieve healthy self-governance -- i.e. government of, by, and for the American people -- and the most effective way to do that is to empower leaders who reflect the rich diversity of our nation. Conservatives, BIPOC+ people, women, etc. are always going to be better advocates for their own needs and values than I will as a progressive white man.
The objective of last year’s report was to set baselines. We wanted to understand the demographics of Bridge Alliance community leaders and see how they compared to the U.S. population. The results confirmed that the community is older, whiter, and more progressive.
The 2021 Diversity Report is our first opportunity to measure our progress. This year’s report shows that the Bridge Alliance network has become more diverse in some areas, and has remained static in others. For instance, there are more conservative/libertarian leaders in the Bridge Alliance community today than there were last year. However, there is a lot of room for improvement in racial and ideological diversity.
As you look through the report, think about what would make it better, and let us know! We are always looking to improve! Each iteration of the Diversity Report takes many, many hours of research and preparation, but we believe that becoming a diverse coalition is mission critical, and we look forward to showcasing our progress next year.
- AllSides - September 6th, 2021: When Abortion Is On the Ballot… Again
- Braver Angels (video) September 3rd, 2021: Can Conservatives Trust Journalists? | Joy Mayer with Mónica Guzmán
- Civil Squared (podcast) August 30th, 2021: Recidivism and corporate social responsibility
- Civil Squared - September 8th, 2021: Discussing things that matter to us demands a more civil approach
- Common Good (podcast) September 1st, 2021: The Vital Center Podcast: Can America Untangle Itself from Red Tape?
- Common Ground Committee (podcast) September 2nd, 2021: Monuments and Marriage: The Most Personal Lessons About Race
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - September 7th, 2021: Keeping Offsets on the Table