Daily Resource Highlight - 7/26/2021
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on July 26, 2021 at 3:39 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
7/19/2021 - Junior State of America Wants to Empower Women This Summer
Notwithstanding Beyonce’s catchy song, women in the United States hold substantially fewer positions of power than men. Women hold just over one-quarter of all seats in Congress and federal judgeships. And as you are no doubt aware, we have never had a female President or Vice President before the current administration.
The numbers are shifting, though. For instance, according to Ballotpedia, over 70% of President Biden’s Senate confirmed judges are women. As are 85% of Biden’s judicial nominees that are waiting for a vote in the Senate. In Congress, meanwhile, the share of women has risen by over 50% in the last decade.
Junior State of America (JSA) wants to keep the momentum going. That’s why they are inviting high school aged young women from across the country to take part in their Young Women’s Leadership Institute. This year’s Institute will be held digitally from July 31st through August 16th, and will help participants develop their leadership skills “through instruction, self-reflection, and practice.”
7/20/2021 - RDI and Alliance for Peacebuilding Are Looking to Help Us Stabilize
As I sit here at my desk at home, I see three lantern flies on my windows. You might remember that there was a concerted effort to get them out of the country last year, as they can destroy certain types of agriculture. Unfortunately, it looks like the threat is still with us, and we have some work to do.
My new insect neighbors feel like a good metaphor for our democratic republic. Our nation is wrestling with a number of problems, and there don’t seem to be many easy solutions. But like with lantern flies, we can’t just give up.
We can and will find solutions, and tomorrow at 2 PM ET our friends at Alliance for Peacebuilding will be discussing some possible solutions. Their webinar entitled “Pulling Back from the Brink: ReBuilding and Securing U.S. Democracy” will bring together several democracy stakeholders, including Bridge Alliance member Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI), for a discussion on how to “reduce increasing instability and build sustainable peace for all Americans.”
Be sure to sign up now, and learn more about how we can ensure a bright and prosperous future for our country.
- Ballotpedia - July 16th, 2021: Weekly Brew
- Braver Angels (video) July 16th, 2021: Braver Angels National Debate: Racism in America
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - July 14th, 2021: Fully Paid for Must Mean Fully Paid For
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - July 19th, 2021: True Cost of Budget Plan Could Exceed $5 Trillion
- Essential Partners (guide): Guide To Conversations About Education After COVID
- The Flip Side - July 16th, 2021: Senate Budget Agreement
- The Flip Side - July 19th, 2021: Social Media and Misinformation
- The Flip Side - July 20th, 2021: Immigration
- Listen First Project/The Village Square (video) July 15th, 2021: #ListenFirst Friday Village Square
- Living Room Conversations (job description): Racial Equity Partner Position Open
- Project on Government Oversight - July 13th, 2021: Correcting Misconceptions and Planning Effective Safeguards on Face Recognition Technology
- R Street Institute - July 8th, 2021: Not all machines are created equal
- R Street Institute - July 13th, 2021: Let’s Bet on the Next Big Policy Crisis—No, Really
- RepresentUs (video) July 16th, 2021: WTF is a filibuster?
- Tech Congress (job description): Senior Manager, Finance and Operations Position Open