Daily Resource Highlight - 6/14/2021
Posted by Michelle Dickson on June 14, 2021 at 5:24 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
06/07/2021 - This Weekend, Help Depolarize America with Katie Couric
America Talks (AT) is launching this weekend (June 12th & 13th) with help from Katie Couric and the National Institute for Civil Discourse. AT will lead directly into the National Week of Conversation (NWOC), where literally hundreds of organizations -- including a number of Bridge Alliance member organizations -- are hosting hundreds of events.
I know a lot of you believe that toxic polarization is a big problem in our nation, and the best way to start to fix it is with conversation. If you want to be part of the solution, sign up for an AT and NWOC event today!
But don’t stop there. Tell your friends and family about AT and NWOC, too. If you are on Twitter, use the hashtag #ListenFirst and tag the Listen First Project. Let’s make sure that all Americans know that polarization isn’t a given and show the mainstream media that conversation is worth their time and attention.
Also, if you would like to watch an adorable video about your upcoming America Talks “journey,” click here. For those of us who have not been on a flight since the pandemic started, it was a welcome bit of nostalgia.
06/10/2021 - Caring About the Environment DOES NOT Make You Progressive
I was recently (rightfully) challenged by a colleague for making a careless remark about ideology; suggesting that environmental advocates are mostly left-leaning. She pushed back on that assumption, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that she is absolutely right. I stopped to reflect and could see that the common narrative of environmentalism as a partisan issue is inaccurate.
One doesn’t have to identify with Republicans or Democrats (or the Green Party for that matter) to care about the environment. In fact, there are many conservatives and conservative organizations eager to propose and apply free market solutions to combating climate change.
Two such efforts are being driven by the R Street Institute and Common Good. R Street recently released a briefing that discussed the impact of government policy on private sector energy and environmental research and development. They concluded that the private sector can be a key driver of innovation in pursuit of global climate objectives if such efforts are incentivized via tax reforms. Their report points to the large increases in investment that followed the 2017 tax cut.
Common Good, meanwhile, is advocating for a National Infrastructure Board to streamline our path to a greener energy grid (and thereby cut emissions in half by 2030). The Board would maintain a list of national infrastructure priorities and expedite the approval process for projects that are in line with those priorities. If you agree with Common Good’s proposal, be sure to share its campaign page and sign up for its newsletter.
There are many possible approaches to tackling climate change -- both conservative and progressive. And that’s the point. Environmentalism can and should be a cross-partisan topic, and it must be for us to solve current and future climate crises.
- AllSides - June 3rd, 2021: Interest in COVID-19 Lab Leak Theory Grows
- American Promise (video) May 12th, 2021: America 2026 (Day 1 Breakout 1)
- Braver Angels - May 30th, 2021: Do you have what it takes to ‘Walk A Mile In My News’?
- Braver Angels (podcast) June 8th, 2021: Get off Your Butt & Take Action! A Special
- Civil Squared - June 2nd, 2021: Millions of borrowers, trillions of dollars owed
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - June 3rd, 2021: Partial Student Debt Cancellation is Poor Economic Stimulus
- Common Ground Committee (promotional video) June 8th, 2021: Turning Racism & Extremism Into Hope And Healing
- Fair Vote - May 11th, 2021: 23 Cities Embrace Ranked Choice Voting in Utah
- The Flip Side - June 8th, 2021: Global Minimum Corporate Tax
- The Flip Side - June 9th, 2021: Harris Visits Latin America
- Listen First Project/National Institute for Civil Discourse (video) June 3rd, 2021: #ListenFirst Friday National Institute for Civil Discourse
- Unite America - June 7th, 2021: Vote at Home, Vermont!