Daily Resource Highlight - 6/07/2021
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on June 07, 2021 at 6:14 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
6/01/2021 - Business Can Help Depolarize America, And It Has To
American businesses and the American government have a symbiotic relationship. American business needs a functional government that can set and enforce the laws, and our government needs businesses to power the economy and generate revenue / jobs. In our capitalist democratic republic, one cannot exist without the other.
That's why Business for America (BfA) exists. BfA understands this mutual dependence and encourages business leaders to take an active role in protecting democracy. Right now, BfA has teamed up with the Niskanen Center to combat the threat of polarization in a series titled “DIVIDED WE FALL: How Business Can Depolarize the US.”
This series explores the causes of polarization, its costs, and what businesses can do to reverse the trends. You can register for Part 2 of the series, which will take place on June 3rd from Noon to 1:30 PM ET. The other two sessions are also available for registration on BfA’s website. Whether you’re a business owner who wants to do your part or just a curious person, this is a great event to learn more about the role business can play in healing our nation.
And if you’re looking to get hyped about reform, mark your calendar for October 9th through the 11th. That’s when the American Democracy Summit -- formerly Unrig -- will be happening. Taking place in Austin, TX, this will be a star-studded event from start to finish. Sign up today to receive updates from RepresentUs for the can’t-miss reform event of the fall.
6/03/2021 - What is Your Budget Personality? I’m a Futurist.
I’m a Futurist….at least according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget’s (CRFB) budget personality quiz. I believe that our government should invest in the future and I’m OK with it spending money to do so.
Who cares what I think, though? What do YOU think? There are 8 budget personality types -- including Minimalist, Caretaker, and Nostalgist -- each of which have different opinions on generational balance, fiscal responsibility, and the size of government.
The budget personality quiz is part of the CRFB’s new project “Budgeting for the Future.” They also have quizzes about how we should prioritize current spending, how we (the government) should pay our bills, and one to test your knowledge about how much of our budget goes to each generation (I’m proud to say I did well on that one).
And there’s more! But I won’t spoil it all for you. If you’re interested in learning about the federal budget and thinking more about your own priorities, make sure to bookmark this page. It’s both fun and informative.
- AllSides -May 24th, 2021: Divides on Public Health Measures as Pandemic Ends
- Braver Angels (video) May 26th, 2021: Cancel Culture, Communication, & the Quest for Humanism | Steven Pinker with John Wood, Jr.
- Campus Election Engagement Project (application due August 20): 2021 CEEP Fellows Application
- Civil Squared (podcast) June 1st, 2021: Why is College so Expensive?
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - May 28th, 2021: President's Budget Does Little to Address High and Rising Debt
- Everyday Democracy (video) May 20th, 2021: Meet Sagacity Walker
- The Flip Side - May 27th, 2021: COVID-19’s Origins
- The Flip Side - May 28th, 2021: Anti-Semitism
- IssueVoter - May 26th, 2021: How the Decline of Local Media Spread Coronavirus Misinformation
- IssueVoter: Should the US government incentivize renewable energy via tax credits?
- Listen First Project/ActiVote (video) May 27th, 2021: #ListenFirst Friday ActiVote
- McCourtney Institute for Democracy (guide): Misinformation and Conspiracy Theories
- National Civic League - May 24th, 2021: Youth Take on Challenges Facing Louisville and the Nation
- Project on Government Oversight (video) May 19th, 2021: The F-35 in 2 Minutes
- Public Agenda (videos): Global Learning on Democratic Innovation Webinar Series
- R Street Institute (podcast) May 24th, 2021: Why Getting Rid of Regulations is Good for Jobs
- R Street Institute - May 25th, 2021: Proposed federal clean slate bill will grant much needed second chances
- R Street Institute - May 25th, 2021: COVID-19 is here to stay
- R Street Institute - May 30th, 2021: Anti-tech regulation turns Constitution on its head
- R Street Institute (podcast) May 30th, 2021: Should A January 6th Commission Investigate The Violence At The US Capitol?
- R Street Institute - June 1st, 2021: Ranked choice voting would improve Texas voting
- ReConsider Media (podcast) June 28th, 2021: How to Causally Radicalize a Citizen
- Urban Rural Action (podcast) May 8th, 2021: Areas of Agreement