Daily Resource Highlight - 4/26/2021
Posted by Michelle Dickson on April 29, 2021 at 4:38 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
4/21/2021 - Citizen Redefined: Teaching Citizenship Culture to Young Americans
At Citizen University, Americans are taught to think of citizenship as a way of life; as a community. In some ways, Citizen University sees citizenship as a religion, complete with civic sermons every Saturday. In this case, the object of “worship” is the grand experiment of self-governance that we have been navigating for nearly 2½ centuries.
And as with any community / religion / way of life, the next generation is essential to a prosperous future. That’s why Citizen University has launched its newest program - Citizen Redefined. Citizen Redefined is a mentorship program that connects experienced Americans with young people throughout the country, with the goal of teaching them how to:
(1) Reckon with moral tensions in American history and strengthen their own capacity for moral reflection;
(2) Make sense of the current state of our democracy and define for themselves what it means to live with civic character; and
(3) Practice building civic power and take responsibility for the greater good
Citizen University is already testing out this new project with a pilot program, and they are looking to formally launch the program later this year. If you are interested in mentoring a young American on what it means to be a thoughtful, active citizen, sign up here.
On a lighter, but very serious note, RepresentUs just released a video to “save the gerrymanders” starring a very confused Ed Helms. Check it out here.
- AllSides - April 14th, 2021: Surveys Show Both Democrats and Republicans Support Healthcare Improvements
- AllSides - April 15th, 2021: Unpacking Georgia’s Controversial New Voting Law
- Ballotpedia: State redistricting deadlines after the 2020 census
- Braver Angels - April 15th, 2021: Can Theater Bridge the Divide? A Conversation with Collaboraction Theatre Company | Anthony Moseley & Dr. Marcus Robinson with Ciaran O’Connor & Alma Cook
- Citizen University (new program): Citizen Redefined
- Civil Squared (podcast) April 19th, 2021: Boomers, Millennials, and Overcoming Crisis
- Civil Squared - April 20th, 2021: The regulation generation
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - April 16th, 2021: Face Recognition Is Far from the Sci-Fi Super-Tool Its Sellers Claim
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - April 19th, 2021: COVID Bills Had $650 Billion in Extraneous Policies
- The Flip Side - April 19th, 2021: Adam Toledo
- The Flip Side - April 20th, 2021: Refugee Cap
- The Flip Side - April 21st, 2021: Chauvin Verdict
- Listen First Project (video) April 14th, 2021: #ListenFirst Friday Rural Assembly Everywhere
- Project on Government Oversight - April 15th, 2021: Red Flags: The First Year of COVID-19 Loan Fraud Cases