Daily Resource Highlight - 4/12/2021
Posted by Michelle Dickson on April 05, 2021 at 3:38 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
4/06/2021 - Join Us In Two Weeks. Let’s Honor Some Amazing Collaborators
Back in January we told you about the American Civic Collaboration Awards -- a.k.a. “The Civvys.” Each year, the Civvys are awarded to three collaborative efforts “that put community and nation before party, ideology and narrow interests.” It’s a way of (1) saying thank you to people and organizations that make our country a better place, and (2) telling their stories to a wider audience.
This year, the Civvys are taking place on Monday, April 19th at 7 PM ET, and we’re hoping to see you there!
And I do mean WE. The Civvys are a collaboration of the Bridge Alliance and the National Conference on Citizenship, and it gives me great pleasure to invite you -- on behalf of our two communities -- to the Awards Ceremony. Attendance is free, and you’ll get to hear from people who are forging a new path forward for our country; a path built on foundations of trust and cooperation instead of fear and anger.
So again, we hope to see you there. It is going to be a fun night, but it won’t be the same without you.
4/09/2021 - Do Your Representatives Choose You? State-by-State Gerrymandering
In a few months, the U.S. Census Bureau will release the data that states need for redistricting. Once received, each state will use its own process to determine the shapes of its various congressional and state legislative districts for the next ten years.
In some states, like Michigan and Arizona, the proceedings will be more-or-less transparent and the end result will reflect some sort of consensus. In most states, though, either Democrats or Republicans have complete control over the state government and can exercise that control to gerrymander districts that will re-elect their incumbents and maximize their party’s advantage in the House of Representatives. In other words, legislators in those states will choose their constituents, and not the other way around.
RepresentUs has quantified the relative risk of that happening in each state with its color-coded Gerrymandering Threat Index. Each state is rated on a scale from “minimal threat” to “extreme threat” using five criteria, including (1) political control, (2) secrecy, (3) partisan rigging, (4) strength of legal standard, and (5) ability to challenge in courts. You can read the full report here.
- AllSides - March 30th, 2021: How a Famous Democratic Socialist and Christian Conservative Forged a Deep Friendship
- AllSides - April 1st, 2021: Surveys Show Republican Voters Actually Support Increasing the Minimum Wage, Just Not to $15/Hour
- AllSides - April 9th, 2021: When Both Parties Rely On Fear-Mongering
- American Public Square (podcast) April 2nd, 2021: Gun Violence in Missouri - Seeking Solutions with The Kansas City Star
- Braver Angels - April 5th, 2021: Depolarization & Faith: How Faith Can Help Us Reach Across the Divide | Sarah Anderson with April Lawson
- Civil Squared - April 6th, 2021: A duty to speak your mind
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - April 2nd, 2021: What's in President Biden's American Jobs Plan?
- The Flip Side - April 6th, 2021: MLB Moves All-Star Game
- The Flip Side - April 7th, 2021: Vaccine Passports
- The Flip Side - April 8th, 2021: Arkansas Bans Transgender Treatment for Children
- IssueVoter - April 6th, 2021: 3 Bills + 3 seconds to Vote for IssueVoter
- Listen First Project (video) April 7th, 2021: #ListenFirst Friday Urban Confessional Free Listening Day 2021
- The McCourtney Institute for Democracy (video) March 25th, 2021: Pranksters vs. Autocrats: Why Dilemma Actions Advance Nonviolent Activism
- Project on Government Oversight - April 5th, 2021: America’s Transformative New Organ Donation Rule Goes into Effect Over Objections from Monopolistic Contractors
- R Street Institute (sheet) April 2021: National Data Breach Notification
- R Street Institute - April 2nd, 2021: A Concise Guide to the Senate’s Rules
- R Street Institute (podcast) April 5th, 2021: What are the prospects for elections reform at the federal level?
- Reconsider Media (podcast) March 15th, 2021: Will America’s Political Parties Split and Realign?
- Reconsider Media (podcast) March 29th, 2021: Reckoning: How Will America Change Post-Capitol Riots? with Richard Hanania
- RepresentUs (webpage): 2021 Gerrymandering Threat Index
- Urban Rural Action (video) March 25th, 2021: UR Action ED Joe Bubman on yanking the moral arc of the universe towards justice
- Young Americans Coalition for Unity (volunteer positions): YACU is looking to fill volunteer leadership positions with motivated students interested in politics and bipartisanship