Daily Resource Highlight 2/16/2021
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on February 16, 2021 at 5:08 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
2/09/2021 - Rebuilding Communities After COVID (A Guide)
At some point -- hopefully sooner rather than later -- American businesses and communities will be able to open up again without fearing a COVID outbreak. When that day comes, it will inevitably be bittersweet, with thousands of businesses remaining shuttered post-pandemic. For economically depressed communities, the impact of the lockdowns, stay-at-home orders, and rising death tolls will be even more stark.
We will have to rebuild, and it will be a long process. Fortunately, at least some of that work is already happening, and best practices are already being formed and implemented. For instance, Cities of Service has been working with five American cities to promote community-led Opportunity Zone development. Each city received a $25,000 grant, as well as technical assistance and full-time AmeriCorps VISTA members, to plan and build more equitable local economies with input from community members, business leaders, and funders.
Cities of Service’s efforts continued even as America and the rest of the world was gripped by COVID-19. And so, while the pandemic has taken an enormous toll on our nation’s economic and physical health, we can thank organizations like Cities of Service for helping to make the road back a little less treacherous and easier to navigate when it’s time to build back up.
2/11/2021 - On The Other Hand...
About a week ago, we compared and contrasted the different approaches (conservative and progressive) that advocates are taking to potential COVID relief. We said we believe both approaches deserve attention in the marketplace of ideas, and that we believe part of our job is to inform you -- our supporters -- of both approaches.
The thing is, presenting both sides of today’s top issues isn’t our bread-and-butter. Nobody subscribes to this newsletter expecting to get a regular breakdown of progressive vs. conservative takes. For that, your best bet would be AllSides or the newest member of the Bridge Alliance, The Flip Side.
Today we’re highlighting The Flipside because early this week they released their own version of our COVID relief compare and contrast -- except they did it much better than we ever could. Like AllSides, The Flip Side looks to conservative and progressive leaning publications for the left/right takes on the latest issues, but they put their own, unique spin on the concept by pulling key passages from the publications to help Americans quickly understand what’s going on.
To put it in their own words, they are offering “smart, concise summaries of political analysis from both conservative and liberal media.” And, they argue, “if everyone takes 5 minutes a day to read The Flip Side, we’ll have a starting point when talking to our friends and neighbors.”
Wouldn’t that be nice?
- AllSides - February 5th, 2021: When Both Parties Split in Half
- America Indivisible (guide) February 2021: Allyship to Black Communities
- American Promise - February 3rd, 2021: Reverend Dr. William Barber II is the Leader the Modern Civil Rights Movement Needs
- American Promise - February 3rd, 2021: Virginia Becomes 22nd State Supporting Constitutional Amendment Efforts
- The American Public Square (podcast) February 5th, 2021: Receiving the Vaccine
- Braver Angels (video) February 4th, 2021: Can Red & Blue America Avoid Divorce? | Greg Smith, Sage Snider, & David Lapp
- Braver Angels - February 9th, 2021: Media & the Death of Objectivity | Matt Taibbi with John Wood, Jr. & Ciaran O’Connor
- Cities of Service (guide): Guiding Opportunities Practitioner’s Guide
- Civic Health Project - February 10th, 2021: America needs fighters. It also needs bridgers.
- Civil Squared - February 9th, 2021: Education matters
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - February 2nd, 2021: CBO Releases New 10-Year Economic Projections
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget - February 10th, 2021: Building a Responsible COVID Relief Package
- FixUs/Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (report): Why Is Governing No Longer Good Politics?
- The Flip Side - February 8th, 2021: COVID Stimulus
- Interactivity Foundation: Just Imagine…Resisting the Big Lie
- Listen First Project (video) February 4th, 2021: Amanda Gorman #ListenFirstFriday
- Open Primaries (video) February 4th, 2021: OP President John Opdycke appears on The Michael Smerconish Program
- R Street Institute - February 1st, 2021: The Senate’s Problem Isn’t the Filibuster, It’s a Lack of Open Debate
- R Street Institute - February 3rd, 2021: Effective Police Reform can be Achieved with Free Market Principles
- R Street Institute - February 3rd, 2021: A lofty but critical cybersecurity dream that must turn into reality
- The Reunited States (trailer): Reunited States - Van + Meghan Trailer
- Unite America - February 10th, 2021: Montana: Where the GOP Rode Historic Mail Balloting & Turnout to Victory