Daily Resource Highlight - 1/11/2021
Posted by on January 19, 2021 at 10:44 AM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
1/12/2020 - What the Field has to say about the Capitol Hill insurrection
On Thursday, January 7th, the Bridge Alliance released a rare statement to condemn the anti-democratic attack on Congress by right-wing extremists. Today, we want to bring your attention to Bridge Alliance members’ statements on the events that transpired on Wednesday, January 6th.
In the days since the attack, we have gotten a better understanding of the insurrection, including how they were able to gain access to the Capitol and their violent intentions.
There was also the matter of lawmakers’ objections to certification of the Electoral College vote. While there have been objections to previous presidential election results, the sheer number of elected officials voting against certification was unprecedented.
The gravity of this moment is difficult to overstate. Regardless of your political allegiances, we can all agree that last Wednesday was an enormously consequential day for our democratic republic, and therefore a consequential day for the healthy self-governance movement. We encourage you to read some of the statements below as we strive as a community to better understand what happened on that day and how to move forward as a nation.
1/15/2020 - The Civvys: Finding Pure Positivity in our Hectic Times
The American Civic Collaboration Awards (The Civvys) saw a record-setting number of nominations this year. Of these nominations, 18 organizations in three categories have been chosen as Finalists due to their high levels of collaboration, impact, and scalability. These awesome projects and organizations also reflect the Civvys’ emphasis on promoting a more inclusive America.
The Finalists include Bridge Alliance members Public Agenda, IssueVoter, and Millennial Action Project, as well as a number of other projects that are located throughout the United States. The Committee also named 30(!!!) honorable mentions -- all of which are doing fantastic work to bring us that much closer to healthy self-governance.
In the coming days and weeks, a diverse group of political, business, and civic leaders will review the Finalists and choose three winners -- one National, one Local, and one Youth-oriented. The winners will be revealed and celebrated at a virtual ceremony in March 2021. Stay tuned for more information on that ceremony!
And, as a final note of hope and positivity, I look forward to seeing all of you in-person at the 2022 ceremony.
- AllSides - January 5th, 2021: When Democrats and Republicans Actually Agree on Police Reform
- AllSides - January 7th, 2021: Congress Confirms Biden's Victory; 4 Dead After Capitol Chaos
- American Sustainable Business Council (petition): Businesses Must Stand Together to Reclaim Our Democracy
- American Sustainable Business Council - January 8th, 2021: New Covid-19 relief includes $285 billion in Paycheck Protection business loans
- Ballotpedia: Government official, politician, and candidate deaths, diagnoses, and quarantines due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, 2020-2021
- Braver Angels - January 4th, 2021: It’s Been a Hell of a Year
- Campus Vote Project (statement) January 7th, 2021: FEC and CVP Statement on the Violent Attack on the U.S. Capitol and Our Democracy
- The Center for Election Science - January 8, 2021: Let’s Stop the Political Pendulum
- Civic Spirit (program runs February 23 – March 11, 2021): We the Educators
- Everyday Democracy (statement) January 7th, 2021: Our Response To The US Capitol Events
- Fair Vote (statement) January 7th, 2021: Healing our country
- Generation Citizen (guide): Teacher Resource Guide: Insurrection on U.S. Capitol
- Issue One (PR release) January 13th, 2021: Bipartisan National Council on Election Integrity launches $400,000 ad buy addressing the recent assault on our democracy and the path forward
- The Jefferson Center (letter) January 8th, 2021: A Note from Our Executive Director: Committing to Democracy
- Listen First Project (video) January 7th, 2021: Tim Shriver, Unite (#ListenFirst Friday)
- Listen First Project (video) January 13th, 2021: Mandar Apte, Cites4Peace (#ListenFirstFriday)
- National Institute for Civil Discourse/Common Sense American - December 21st, 2020: Congress just ended surprise billing
- Project on Government Oversight - January 4th, 2021: Lawmaker Objections to Election Certification Are an Affront to Our Democracy
- Project on Government Oversight (statement) January 6th, 2021: POGO Statement on the Attempted Insurrection at the U.S. Capitol
- Reclaim - January 9th, 2021: Neil Sheehan: What Makes Great Reporting?
- RepresentUs - January 6th, 2021: Violent Mob Stops Congress From Certifying Our Election
- Stand Up Republic (statement) January 5th, 2021: SUR Statement on Republican Election Objectors
- Stand Up Republic - January 6th, 2021: An Attempted Coup
- Tech Congress (application due February): Applications are open for our 2021 Congressional Innovation Scholars Program