Daily Resource Highlight - 12/20/2021
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on December 20, 2021 at 11:53 AM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
December 14, 2021 - Open Some Tabs for These Newsletters
I’m about to reveal to you one of the secret ingredients of this newsletter. As you know, when you open a Daily* Resource, you can expect to see resources, tools, and information from across the healthy self-governance movement. But how do we collect everything that we share with you?
We have a few tricks, but the most important one is also the easiest one to copy -- we subscribe to newsletters. Whenever a new organization joins the Bridge Alliance, one of our staffers will go to their website and sign up for their email list. Now, we have a dedicated email address for those newsletters, but that’s all there is to it.
So now that you know our secret, here are a few excellent newsletters to get you started:
- Ballotpedia has been publishing “Documenting America’s Path to Recovery” since April 27, 2020. They are ending it soon, but if you want regular, informative updates in your inbox, the “Encyclopedia of American Politics” is a terrific resource.
- Leadership Now Project tracks threats to our democracy and responses to those threats in their “Stay Awake” newsletter. You can read previous copies of the newsletter, as well as other updates from LNP, by clicking here.
- If you’re a city leader, or just want to feel inspired, check out National Civic League’s monthly newsletter “Civic Action.” This newsletter is focused on helping America’s cities and counties build equitable, thriving communities.
- The Bunker is a newsletter by the Project on Government Oversight (POGO) that seeks to bring transparency and accountability to America’s national security policies and actions. As you can probably guess, this is a tough, uphill battle.
This is just a sampling of the newsletters that Bridge Alliance members publish. Additionally, quite a few members regularly publish articles on their website. We will cover more newsletters and publications on Thursday. Stay tuned!
December 16, 2021 - We Help You Filter the Best Content
According to a quick Google search, ~30,000 hours of new content is uploaded to YouTube every hour. That’s equal parts impressive and daunting to me. That means that, every day, YouTube adds over 82 years worth of content.
Bridge Alliance members organizations also produce a decent amount of content. But if YouTube is our solar system, Bridge Alliance content is closer to a grain of sand on Miami beach. Still a lot…..but very manageable.
Here is a snapshot of that grain of sand:
- R Street regularly produces thoughtful, well-researched policy papers and blog posts. They’ve published 7 blog posts this month alone, including this one on our cash bail system. And among last month’s policy papers was this Summary of 2021 Election Legislation.
- If you think we need to get dark money out of politics, make sure to bookmark American Promise’s blog page. Recently, Jim Rubens – a New Hampshire Republican – lamented the $130 million being spent on their Senate Race.
- Interactivity Foundation wants to get you thinking outside the box. Just Imagine discusses historical innovators to encourage inventive solutions to modern day challenges. Think About is designed to help educators engage their students.
- As we mentioned last week, The Factual critiques major news publications and examines their bias and objectivity. So far they have done deeper dives on 16 publications. Most recently, they reviewed the New York Post.
Most of these readings only take a few minutes or less, and the longer papers – like this one on telehealth reforms during COVID – are well worth the time investment.
- ActiVote (newsletter) Dec 13th, 2021: Reconciliation Review
- American Promise (article) Dec 8th, 2021: Looking Forward with Hope for the New Year: Driving Big Money out of Politics
- Ballotpedia (newsletter) Dec 9th, 2021: Documenting America's Path to Recovery #215: December 9, 2021
- Ballotpedia (newsletter) Dec 14th, 2021: Economy and Society
- Braver Angels (podcast) Dec 11th, 2021: How Braver Angels Began
- Citizen University (video) Dec 4th, 2021: Virtual Civic Saturday - December 4, 2021
- Civic Genius (video) Dec 8th, 2021: Having Productive Conversations. Tip #2 – Affirm the Other Person
- Common Ground Committee (podcast) Dec 9th, 2021: Climate Action and the Global Need for Energy - Common Ground Committee
- Civic Genius (video) Dec 15th, 2021: Five Minutes of Common Ground: Energy and the Environment
- Civil Squared (podcast) Dec 13th, 2021: I, Citizen
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (blog) Dec 13th, 2021: New SALT Proposals Would Improve House Bill
- Convergence Center for Policy Resolution (report) Dec 7th, 2021: Convergence Dialogue on Guns and Suicide Prevention
- Davenport Institute (form) Dec 13th, 2021: Professional Certificate in Public Engagement For Local Government
- Divided We Fall (article) Dec 9th, 2021: Post-Merkel Germany: New Beginning or New Reckoning?
- Essential Partners (report) Dec 16th, 2021: 2021 Annual Report
- FairVote (video) Dec 10th, 2021: Webinar: The Future of American Elections, RCV in 2021 and 2022
- Good Institute (report) Dec 13th, 2021: GOOD Institute Impact Survey
- Independent Voter Project (video) Dec 6th, 2021: More Choice San Diego Campaign Launch
- IndependentVoting.org (form) Nov 30th, 2021: Spokesperson Training Application/Questionnaire
- Interactivity Foundation (article) Nov 18th, 2021: Just Imagine…Mandating Innovation in a Democracy
- Issue One (podcast) Dec 7th, 2021: Ep. 34- Trading the Public's Trust
- Leadership Now Project (newsletter) Dec 9th, 2021: Stay Awake Newsletter #53: How Corporate Political Spending Impacts Democracy
- Listen First Project (video) Dec 9th, 2021: Connecting Across Divides with AR-GO
- McCourtney Institute for Democracy (podcast) Dec 13th, 2021: What Does It Take To Sustain Democracy?
- Millennial Action Project (video) Dec 13th, 2021: Presenting: The 2021 Rising Star Awards
- National Civic League (newsletter) Dec 13th, 2021: Inspiring and Helping Communities to be their Best
- National Civic League (report) Dec 13th, 2021: Model City Charter, 9th Edition
- Network for Responsible Public Policy (video) Dec 10th, 2021: Bridging America’s Divisions. Can Americans come Together?
- Nonprofit VOTE (article) Dec 6th, 2021: Why the Election is Never Over for Nonprofits
- Project on Government Oversight (article) Dec 8th, 2021:”Ending the Constitution-free Zone for Federal Officials
- Public Agenda (article) Dec 8th, 2021: New Report from Public Agenda Shows How Ordinary Americans are Putting Partisan Animosity in Perspective
- Reclaim the American Dream (blog) Dec 15th, 2021: Protecting Our Democracy – Step One
- Renew Democracy Initiative (newsletter) Dec 9th, 2021: Double the Budget of Every Congressional Office
- R Street Institute (report) Nov 17th, 2021: Summary of 2021 Election Legislation
- R Street Institute (article) Dec 10th, 2021: Our current cash bail system isn’t keeping people in or out of jail based on lethality—and it should be.
- R Street Institute (blog) Dec 14th, 2021: R Street Integrated Harm Reduction Principles and Priorities
- State Legislative Leaders Foundation (article) Dec 9th, 2021: Hope for the Holidays from the Gopher State: The Purple Caucus
- Student Governmental Affairs Program (newsletter) Nov 11th, 2021: SGAP Newsletter for November 2021 (Social Media Regs & Subminimum Wage)
- Student Governmental Affairs Program (newsletter) Nov 29th, 2021: SGAP Newsletter for December 2021 (Methane Emissions & Civil Asset Forfeiture)
- The Factual (newsletter) Nov 29th, 2021 Gerrymandering and the Problems with American Redistricting
- The Factual (blog) Dec 14th, 2021: How Reliable Are Major News Sources?
- The Flip Side (newsletter) Dec 16th, 2021: TFS Thursday Report: Jan. 6 Commission, Bright Side: Christmas Penguins
- The Flip Side (newsletter) Dec 10th, 2021: Summit For Democracy
- The Village Square (podcast) Dec 13th, 2021: Faith v. Science
- Unify America (video) Nov 19th, 2021: Turkey Illusion
- University of Virginia Center for Politics (article) Dec 9th, 2021: Incumbency vs. Environment in 2022’s Gubernatorial Races