Daily Resource Highlight - 12/13/2021
Posted by on December 13, 2021 at 1:50 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
December 7, 2021 - End-of-Year Recaps Worth Your Time
We are coming up on the New Year once again (already!!???), and that means recaps and annual reports. We plan to release our own annual report at the very beginning of 2022, which will summarize the work of the Alliance and its member organizations. But 2022 is still almost a month away and I can tell you with confidence that it will not do justice for every member of the Alliance. Our members are always working!
With 98 member organizations, covering every project, program, and/or initiative would require a full length novel. Since that’s not happening, I think it’s best to let these members (also) speak for themselves:
- A coalition of bridging leaders, including Alliance members Civic Genius, NICD, AllSides, ActiVote, NFRPP, Convergence, Living Room Conversations, BridgeUSA, and Listen First Project formed the Bridging Movement Alignment Council (BMAC) and collaborated on a variety of initiatives to advance the bridging movement.
- The National Conference on Citizenship produced the 4th Veterans Civic Health Index (CHI) to highlight veteran civic leadership; evaluate their needs, and make recommendations on how to work with veterans to move the nation forward.
- Nonprofit VOTE celebrated the work of its 180 partner organizations in its report “Engaging Voters for a More Inclusive Democracy.” In particular, they praised effective outreach to underrepresented groups, including communities of color, lower-income individuals, young people, and non-college educated individuals.
- Participatory Budgeting Project released their 2021 Impact Report. They discussed lessons they have learned, and their plans to continue empowering local communities, with equity, transparency and transformation serving as their guides.
This is just a tiny glimpse of how Bridge Alliance members have promoted healthy self-governance in 2021. Keep reading this newsletter to see more and more of the big picture as we approach the end of 2021.
December 9, 2021 - Just The Facts, Ma’am; News Sources that Won’t Make You Sigh
I have never seen Dragnet, but this (mis)quote often pops into my head when I hear people talk about “objective facts.” Facts are facts, but they are also very tricky. Without even realizing it, people will use facts to create a misleading picture by cherry picking them; leaving out context; mixing in opinions; etc., etc. Everybody has biases, whether they acknowledge them or not.
That’s what makes the newsy members of the Bridge Alliance different. Rather than pretending that bias doesn’t exist or that they are somehow impartial arbiters of the truth, they lean into the bias and acknowledge it for what it is.
In The Flip Side’s latest Q&A newsletter, they state “We do our best to present a range of views from each side. We don’t exclude sources for being ‘too’ conservative or liberal.” Similarly, AllSides provides left, right, and center takes on the day’s headlines. And when they write articles, they explicitly state the author’s bias. You can read more about AllSides’ history in this Independent Voter Network article.
Meanwhile, The Factual takes a slightly different approach. In addition to noting biases, they also work to hold media outlets accountable for the degree of bias in their reporting by assigning “Factual Grades” for individual articles.
Again, none of these organizations are “unbiased,” because that’s impossible. Instead, they are transparent about their biases, thereby empowering their readers to come to their own conclusions. We encourage you to experience that empowerment for yourself.
(The actual quote is “All we want are the facts, ma’am”)
- American Promise (article) Dec 8th, 2021: Looking Forward with Hope for the New Year: Driving Big Money out of Politics
- AllSides (blog) Dec 2nd, 2021: The Omicron Variant Emerges
- Ballotpedia (newsletter) Dec 2nd, 2021: Documenting America's Path to Recovery #214: December 2, 2021
- Braver Angels (video) Dec 7th, 2021: Empathizing with the Left?! Discussing Race with Dennis Prager
- Convergence Center for Policy Resolution (report) Dec 7th, 2021: Convergence Dialogue on Guns and Suicide Prevention
- IndependentVoting.org (form) Nov 30th, 2021: Spokesperson Training Application/Questionnaire
- Interactivity Foundation (article) Nov 18th, 2021: Just Imagine…Mandating Innovation in a Democracy
- Listen First Project (video) Dec 3rd, 2021: Infrastructure for Common Ground
- ReConsider (podcast) Dec 3rd, 2021: Social Shaming
- R Street Institute (report) Nov 17th, 2021: Summary of 2021 Election Legislation
- R Street Institute (blog) Dec 6th, 2021: Supreme Court case places Sixth Amendment in peril
- R Street Institute (report) Dec 7th, 2021: The Scourge of Social Inflation
- Student Governmental Affairs Program (newsletter) Nov 11th, 2021: SGAP Newsletter for November 2021 (Social Media Regs & Subminimum Wage)
- The Factual (newsletter) Dec 8th, 2021: Debt ceiling deal - Red state Covid toll - Massive EV battery plant
- The Factual (newsletter) Dec 3rd, 2021: Remain in Mexico - Government shutdown deadline - Russia vs NATO
- The Flip Side (newsletter) Dec 2nd, 2021: TFS Thursday Report: SCOTUS Abortion Case, Bright Side: Home Alone
- The Flip Side (newsletter) Nov 24th, 2021: Questions Answered
- Unify America (video) Nov 19th, 2021: Turkey Illusion