Daily Resource Highlight - 12/06/2021
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on December 06, 2021 at 12:55 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
November 30, 2021 - Too Much Is Not Enough? More Incredible Opportunities.
When I was young, my grandmother used to take me to an arcade in New York City called Too Much Is Not Enough. I only have vague recollections of it now, but I sometimes think about it when facing an overabundance of awesomeness. Today is one of those days.
As we approach the new year, Bridge Alliance members are producing a lot of excellent content, including well-researched reports; comprehensive overviews; and much-needed projects. So I’m left with a conundrum: how do I spotlight everything that deserves your attention? My solution, for now, is to (1) paint in broader strokes and (2) use bullet points to present information more efficiently. We also encourage you to look through all the resources at the bottom of this newsletter, because we simply can’t highlight everything.
Today’s newsletter builds on last Thursday’s theme of opportunities:
- National Civic League hosted a webinar on the 2022 All-America City Awards. This year’s focus is on promoting COVID-related educational recovery for families served by the nation’s affordable housing programs.
- Unite America is looking for a Democracy Fellow whose sole focus will be on understanding and tackling the Primary Problem. This is an incredible, perhaps once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a highly qualified researcher to develop a major piece of the puzzle for fixing our nation.
- Create your own opportunities and dialogue by learning “How to Organize and Host Living Room Conversations.” These training sessions are offered every month.
Thank you for being a valued subscriber and we look forward to telling you more about all the incredible work that Alliance members are doing to better our country.
December 2, 2021 - A One-Minute Overview of Laser-Focused Solutions
I’m a solutions skeptic. That may sound strange considering my chosen field. On the other hand, my work in this field may be exactly why I’m such a skeptic. I have heard a lot of “solutions” in my young life, but only a fraction of them have come with coherent strategies for implementation. And only a fraction of those ideas have actually been implemented.
But solutions are needed. We need people who will spend the time and energy to come up with good ideas and a plan to get them adopted, and who will march forward against the odds to try to improve our country. Fortunately, the Alliance is filled with such “solution entrepreneurs.” Today’s newsletter is dedicated to them:
- In the wake of the new infrastructure law, Common Good is calling for the creation of a National Infrastructure Board to oversee implementation and reduce waste.
- Convergence Center for Policy Resolution will be convening key stakeholders to reimagine care for older Americans, with a focus on home-based care.
- Public Agenda helped lead a project focused on creating a more equitable future for health and well-being.
- New Bridge Alliance member Veterans for Political Innovation is teaming up with Open Primaries and others to reform our democracy and promote competition.
We are also proud to tell you about the Alliance for Peacebuilding’s upcoming event “Dealing with the Past — A Necessary Step for the Survival of Democracy.” On Tuesday, December 7th at Noon ET, American and international practitioners will discuss how to rebuild America’s social fabric to ensure a healthy democracy.
- American Conservation Coalition (video) Nov 24th, 2021: Putting the Environment Back in Environmentalism
- American Democracy Project (video) Nov 17th, 2021: Global Literacy Talks: Championing the Global Agenda: American Higher Ed's Role in Advancing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- American Democracy Project (video) Nov 12th, 2021: Multi-Solution Model for Assessment, Evaluation, and Accreditation
- American Promise (video) Nov 17th, 2021: Citizen Lobby for Action Team Call
- American Public Square (podcast) Nov 17th, 2021: Both Sides Episode #59: Reconciliation for the Children & Grandchildren
- BridgeUSA (article) Nov 25th, 2021: Understanding Different Perspectives of Some American Holidays
- Civic Health Project (video) Nov 28th, 2021: The Center for Entertainment & Civic Health presents: Hollywood and Storytelling In a Divided America
- Civics Unplugged (video) Nov 15th, 2021: Bonfire #10: Seeing Events and Patterns within a System
- Civil Squared (newsletter) Nov 30th, 2021: Bright Spots
- Common Ground Committee (podcast) Nov 24th, 2021: Coming Together Across Divides: Holiday Season Special Episode
- Divided We Fall (article) Nov 19th, 2021: Turmoil in Cuba and The Way Forward
- Essential Partners (article) Nov 29th, 2021: "Life-saving dialogues" for COVID's front-line doctors
- Former Members of Congress (video) Nov 17th, 2021: Hon. Donna Edwards Speaking To Tougaloo College Students
- IndependentVoting.org (newsletter) Nov 16th, 2021: November 16, 2021
- Junior State of America (newsletter) Nov 29th, 2021: Educator Newsletter
- Listen First Project (video) Nov 24th, 2021: #ListenFirst Friday Pre-Giving Tuesday
- Living Room Conversations (podcast) Nov 23rd, 2021: Giving Thanks for Connection and Understanding
- McCourtney Institute for Democracy (podcast) Nov 22nd, 2021: The Soul Of Democracy
- McCourtney Institute for Democracy (podcast) Nov 29th, 2021: Andrew Yang And Charlie Dent On The Future Of America’s Political Parties
- Mormon Women for Ethical Government (article) Nov 30th, 2021: Updating the Electoral Count Act of 1887
- National Civic League (newsletter) Nov 30th, 2021: Philanthropy Contributes to Good Governance
- Network for Responsible Public Policy (video) Nov 21st, 2021: Democracy in the Balance? The Polarized Politics of Political-Economic Reform
- Project on Government Oversight (article) Nov 17th, 2021: The Bunker: Another Failed Audit
- R Street Institute (article) Nov 30th, 2021: International emission data shows United States leading on climate and developing nations increasing emissions
- The Factual (newsletter) Nov 28th, 2021: Retail economy robustness - Honduras election scrutiny - Covid pill efficacy
- The Factual (newsletter) Nov 30th, 2021: Travel restrictions return - Gerrymandering analysis - Self-replicating robots
- The Flip Side (newsletter) Nov 30th, 2021: TFS Tuesday Report: Omicron Variant, Bright Side: Architecture Fails
- The Village Square (podcast) Nov 11th, 2021: Order, Chaos + Homo Sapiens