Daily Resource Highlight - 10/26/2020
Posted by on October 29, 2020 at 8:26 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
10/27/2020 - It’s An HBCU Showdown! Getting Out The Vote
In 2016, voter turnout at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) dropped from just over 50% to just under 40% as compared to 2012. For a variety of reasons, college students vote less than their old counterparts, but HBCUs in particular saw a precipitous drop in participation in 2016 (compared to an increase in turnout among college students as a whole).
Bridge Alliance member Campus Vote Project is doing its part to reverse this trend among HBCU students with its Legacy Initiative. In addition to seeking to understand and address the barriers that HBCU students face to vote, the Legacy Initiative is also working hard to get HBCU students excited about making their voices heard at the polls.
Their latest GOTV effort will be HBCU Culture Clash on Thursday, October 29th @ 7:30 PM ET! This family feud style game show will be hosted by comedian Renny and will feature two teams (Team Legacy and Team Freedom) of celebrities and leaders representing HBCUs across the country. If you’re like me and love gameshows, be sure to tune in for this energetic and informative showdown
10/29/2020 - New Formatting and Election Hero Day!
As you know, tensions are very high heading into next week’s general election, and the possibility of election day and post-election violence is real. Mediators Beyond Borders International has responded to this threat by organizing the Trust Network -- a network of two dozen organizations dedicated to “prevent[ing] violent conflict before, during and after the U.S. 2020 elections.” Among the two dozen members are Bridge Alliance members NCDD and Listen First Project, as well as strategic partner Alliance for Peacebuilding.
- Campus Election Engagement Project/Students Learn Students Vote (guide) October 8th, 2020: Post-Election Campus Resource and Response Guide
- Campus Election Engagement Project (guide): Common Questions After Election Day: A Student Guide
- Campus Election Engagement Project (guide): Post-Election Online Announcement for Faculty
- Campus Election Engagement Project: The Road Ahead: Processing the 2020 Election
- Campus Vote Project/Legacy Initiative (event - October 29 @ 7:30 PM ET): HBCU Culture Clash
- National Conference on Citizenship - October 26th, 2020: NCoC Launches the Election Trust Project and Establishes Election Hero Day
- 13 News (Democracy Works) October 22nd, 2020: Signed, sealed, received? How to check if the election office has your mail-in ballot
- Business Insider (National Vote at Home Institute) October 22nd, 2020: 5 tips for voting in person during the coronavirus pandemic