Daily Resource Highlight - 10/19/2020
Posted by on October 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
10/20/2020 - Reaching Millions of Americans Pre-Election
Bridge Alliance members continue their work making a huge impact on a large swath of Americans. For instance, BallotReady has reached 50 million(!?) people through their partnership with TikTok. TikTok users have ready access to BallotReady’s comprehensive voter guide, which gives information on registering to vote, requesting a ballot, and the candidates and measures that will appear on their ballot.
Not to be outdone, Google is teaming up with Democracy Works to show people where to vote. Whether you ask Google Assistant, search “where to vote” on Google Maps, or search “where to vote” in the classic search box, you will get results -- pulled from Democracy Works’ Voting Information Project -- on where to vote and helpful reminders to make the process as smooth as possible.
10/22/2020 - Give Yourself Permission to Relax
My wife doesn’t care much about politics. While I constantly fret about the current news cycle and what the polls say about the upcoming election, she is much more concerned about how she is performing at work and remembering to wish family members happy birthday. When I tell her about the latest political controversy, she understands why I am anxious, but she also reminds me that -- in almost every instance -- it’s out of my control. In other words, it’s ok to relax. And IssueVoter’s latest blog post gives advice on how to do that.
If you’re reading this newsletter, you’re probably more like me than like my wife. And with the election less than two weeks away, your anxiety is high. That’s perfectly understandable! But, as my wife would say, it’s ok to relax. That doesn’t mean not caring. Instead, it means getting out of flight or fight mode and putting your thinking mind back in charge. Once you’ve given yourself permission to do so, let IssueVoter give you tips on “How to Bring Mindfulness into Politics.”
- Ballotpedia (webpage): Sample Ballot Lookup
- Civics Unplugged (video) September 24th, 2020: In The News: CBS This Morning features Civics Unplugged
- Generation Citizen (new initiative): 50 x 2026
- 9 to 5 Google (Democracy Works) October 16th, 2020: Assistant adds ‘Hey Google, where do I vote?’ command on phones, Smart Displays
- CNBC (Ballotpedia) October 16th, 2020: This map shows which states guarantee time off from work to vote
- Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation - University of Chicago (BallotReady) October 15th, 2020: BallotReady to Reach 50 Million Voters in All 50 States