Daily Resource Highlight - 10/12/2020
Posted by on October 16, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
10/13/2020 - The Academy Awards for Collaboration - The Civvys!
Before we talk about the Civvys, make sure you register for the panel discussion on Stars and Strife -- a documentary that explores rising anger and hate in American political culture. Register now to see the movie for free (you'll receive a link in the confirmation email) and reserve your spot for the discussion on Monday October 19th @ 7 PM ET.
Stars and Strife and the Civvys are actually two sides of the same coin. Stars and Strife explores how we have created a culture of hatred and distrust, and the Civvys highlight what we can accomplish when we rise above that culture. Now in its 4th year, the Civvys “celebrate best practices in civic collaboration that put community and nation before party, ideology and narrow interests.”
If you know about a project or organization that is helping to make America work through collaboration, be sure to nominate them using this form! Nominations are being accepted through November 20th. Past winners have included ioby (a fundraising platform for community projects); iCivics (a website that teaches civics through games); and New Hampshire Listens (a regional organization that promotes civil discourse on hard topics in New Hampshire).
10/16/2020 - No Seriously, Watch Stars & Strife
I have a confession to make. Even though I have been encouraging you to watch Stars and Strife and register for the panel discussion on Monday October 19th @ 7 PM ET, I hadn’t actually watched the film myself. So I was asking you to do something that I hadn’t done myself.
Last night, though, I finally did….and wow. It has high production value, an important message, and it really nails what we’re aiming for -- a country in which everybody has a shot at “The American Dream.” This is a film you’ll want to see, and once you see it I know you’ll want to discuss it.
R Street Institute is hosting a webinar titled “Election 2020: Setting Expectations and Debunking Myths.” This is a great opportunity to help each other set expectations for what November 3rd (and 4th and 5th, etc.) will look like, and -- hopefully -- allay some of the concerns that have taken center stage in an unprecedented election year.
- Big Tent Nation (submissions page due November 20): 2020 Civvys Awards Nomination Form
- Campus Election Engagement Project (guide): Nonpartisan Candidate Guides
- Essential Partners (guide): 2020 Election Dialogue Resource
- R Street Institute (event - October 22 @ 3:30 PM ET): Election 2020: Setting Expectations and Debunking Myths
- Roll Call (Congressional Management Foundation) October 14th, 2020:‘Oscars for Congress’ catches some delighted staffers unaware
- USA Today (article featuring Debilyn Molineaux of Bridge Alliance) October 10th, 2020: Profiteers are manipulating Americans' outrage. Let's commit to resist them together.