Daily Resource Highlight - 09/26/2022
Posted by Bridge Alliance Education Fund on September 26, 2022 at 1:16 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
September 20, 2022 - National Voter Registration Day! Election Guides for Businesses; Americans Abroad; Common Grounders; and Everybody Else
I live in New Jersey, but I’m in the Philadelphia media market. As a result, I’m constantly seeing ads about Pennsylvania’s Senate and Governor races. On the other hand, I don’t know who will be on my actual ballot or when I will receive that ballot, let alone who I should vote for. This feels like a problem.
Fortunately, Bridge Alliance members are here to help.
- Want to see what will be on your ballot? Ballotpedia can help with their Sample Ballot Lookup.
- Hoping to avoid the chaos of voting day by voting by mail? National Vote at Home will show you your options based on your home state.
- Or if you want to help election day voters, sign up to be an election worker through Power the Polls.
- Not sure if you’ve even registered to vote? Citizen Connect’s Participation Guide shows you where to check, along with a number of other tools.
- And if you aren’t registered to vote, Common Ground Committee (CGC) has a step-by-step guide to help you through the process.
Bridge Alliance members also have a voting guide for students studying abroad (Civic Influencers) and Business for America is eager to help businesses that want to empower their employees to vote.
But what about who you should vote for? That’s your decision, and yours alone. However, if you want representatives who actively seek common ground, CGC’s Common Ground Scorecard is an easy way to learn who is serious about working across differences.
Finally, we will leave you with this inspiring story about how voters in New York City upended the status quo this past January by electing a majority female (31 of 51 seats, or 61%) city council for the first time in the City’s history. The previous record was 18 seats. In other words, it is possible to achieve change with your vote. So get ready to make your voice heard in November.
September 22, 2022 - World Gratitude Day: Take a Moment for Yourself
A few weeks ago, we discussed the mental health crisis in America, which got much worse during the pandemic. Yesterday was World Gratitude Day, so we are taking a moment to revisit the topic.
With elections around the corner, it’s easy to get swept up in the madness of political ads, non-stop fundraising pleas, and poll watching. And all of that is important. Elections matter!
But your mental health is also important, which is why Living Room Conversations invites you to have a discussion about gratitude. The concept is simple – take time to appreciate the world around you as it is. In the just released film Gratitude Revealed, Louie Schwartzberg expands on the idea and takes the audience on “an immersive cinematic experience.”
Bridge Alliance’s own Shakira Mills recently interviewed Louie for the To Build a Bridge podcast. The two discussed how gratitude can help us build a healthier culture, as well as play a part in fixing our democratic republic. Be sure to listen to that episode, as well as the other eight episodes of the insightful To Build a Bridge podcast.
So, please take care of yourself this election season, and if you’ve neglected your personal mental health, consider using World Gratitude Day as an opportunity for some self-care.
- AllSides (Blog) September 21st: Media Bias Alert: Right Elevates, Left Ignores Developments in Biden Administration Misinformation Censorship Lawsuit
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (Blog) September 14th: CBO Releases its Estimate of the President's FY 2023 Budget
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (Blog) September 20th: Year-End 'Extenders' Could Worsen Deficits and Inflation
- The Flip Side (Newsletter) September 16th: Martha's Vineyard
- Leadership Now Project (Blog) September 12th: LNP Encourages MBAs to Vote
- Living Room Conversations (Discussion Guide) September 21st: Gratitude Conversation Guide
- Millennial Action Project (Blog) September 15th: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with Young, Hispanic Legislators
- National Civic League (Awards) Letter of Intent Due 12/15/22: All-American City 2023
- R Street Institute (Blog) September 18th: Inside the Cost and Chaos of Special Elections When Politicians Die or Resign
- R Street Institute (Blog) September 20th: Permitting reform is key for renewable energy, transmission and LNG exports
- Unite America (Video) September 17th: 2022 Champion of Democracy: Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Urban Rural Action (Press Release) September 16th: Department of Homeland Security Awards Urban Rural Action $770K Grant to Prevent Targeted Violence