Daily Resource Highlight - 06/06/22
Posted by on June 06, 2022 at 5:27 PM
Below are the highlights and featured resources of this past week’s Daily* Resource.
May 31, 2022 - It’s Up To Us To Get Involved
A major part of the Healthy Self-Governance Movement is empowering everyday Americans in their role as catalysts for revitalizing our democracy. We do this by keeping you informed about what our members are doing, and our members do this by requesting your support!
The CATO Institute invites you to join their Taxation and Democracy webinar TOMORROW, June 1, 2022. Taxes not only fund governmental efforts but are often drivers of policy outcomes, which is definitely in transition right now. Join CATO tomorrow to explore the role taxation plays in our democracy at the moment and how it affects you personally.
Being informed is great, but actively taking on a role with one of our members is even better. Braver Angels is looking to elevate the voices of working-class Americans with their “We The People” Project. These are a series of virtual conversations in which participants learn from and connect with one another through personal stories and lived experiences, redefining what it means to be a subject matter expert. Register here and let your voice be heard.
America Indivisible is also looking for your voice in selecting members for their Public Leaders for Inclusion Council. This leadership development program encourages public servants to explore practices and policies that challenge bigotry and other forms of hate while building inclusion and social resilience in their communities. If you know of anyone who has experience in DEI or social justice work, please pass this information on and have them sign up HERE.
Finally, Students for Open Primaries is working hard to empower young, independent voters throughout the nation. If you are between the ages of 16 and 39, you can help them by completing the 2022 Young Voter Survey (and send it to others). I filled it out last week!
These are only a few of the many ways you can get involved in promoting Healthy Self-Governance. These opportunities are a great reminder that, regardless of governmental systems in place, it is up to us to create a just and balanced society.
As always, thank you for supporting Bridge Alliance.
June 2, 2022 - How to Catch Up After Recovering from Covid
As you may have guessed from the newsletter sent out Tuesday of last week, I recently caught COVID-19. I’m pretty much recovered now, but that virus certainly knocked me on my behind for awhile. I strongly recommend against catching it.
While I was sick, a lot happened in our world…and I mostly ignored it. Now that I’m back, I’m going to be leaning on Bridge Alliance members to get back up to speed. For instance, The Factual recently introduced a search bar at the top of their website that takes any keyword and attempts to show you (1) the most relevant story, (2) a highly credible story, and (3) an alternative viewpoint. Between that site, The FlipSide, and AllSides, I’m confident I will be able to get a well-rounded picture of today’s hot topics.
I’m also thrilled to see Ballotpedia’s 2021 Annual Report, which shows that 48 million of you are keeping yourselves informed with the Encyclopedia of American Politics. With primary season already here, and midterms coming soon, there’s no better time to bookmark this incredible resource.
Finally, as I work to catch up, it appears I’ll have to do so without the Biden administration’s help. Its newly formed Disinformation Governance Board has been paused just 3 weeks after it was formed. Considering the skepticism the Board faced from both the left and right (per The Flipside), this news is unsurprising.
- AllSides (blog) May 24th: At Least 19 Students, 2 Teachers Killed in Texas Elementary School Shooting
- American Promise (blog) May 18th: Supreme Court Analysis: FEC v. Ted Cruz for Senate
- Braver Angels (video) May 22nd: Do the rights of an adult woman take precedence over the rights of a fetus? A Braver Angels Debate
- Business for America (blog) May 25th: Corporate Political Donations: A Mirror on Company Values
- Citizen University (blog) May 19th: Who decides what's ok?
- Congressional Management Foundation (blog) May 20th: Principle 8: The People should be honest and transparent in their engagement with Congress.
- Congressional Management Foundation (blog) May 24th: Principle 9: Constituent advocacy must prioritize content and quality over medium and quantity.
- Convergence Center for Policy Resolution (report) May 19th: Convergence Dialogue on Pathways to Better Jobs Framing Paper
- Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (blog) May 19th: Medicare Advantage Costs Continue to Rise
- Divided We Fall (article) May 18th: Should the Government Regulate Social Media?
- FairVote (blog) May 20th: Plurality Wins in the 2022 Primaries: Who Can Win With the Fewest Votes?
- Interactivity Foundation (blog) May 23rd: Freedom of Worship: A Community Conversation about Four Freedoms (Part 2 of 4)
- Listen First Project (video) May 19th: #ListenFirst Friday Diana Clark
- Listen First Project (video) May 26th: #ListenFirst Friday Tania Israel
- Millennial Action Project (report) May 20th: 2021 Impact Report
- National Civic League (newsletter) May 25th: Still Healing After 58 Years
- Narratives Project (video) May 26th: This is how we view the same events differently | The Car Crash Parable
- National Institute for Civil Discourse (brief) May 24th: Research Brief No. 7: The Concept of Civility in Modern Political Philosophy
- The Center for Election Science (blog) May 22nd: Approval Voting is the Reform the Latine Population Needs
- The Flip Side (newsletter) May 20th: Infant Formula
- The Village Square (form) May 23rd: #100Coffees: Let's have coffee.
- Truth in Accounting (report) May 24th: City Combined Taxpayer Burden™ Report
- Unite America (newsletter) May 19th: Plurality is becoming a major problem
- Unite America (newsletter) May 26th: Without words
- Voice of the People (blog) May 26th: Three-in-Four Voters Favor Reinstating Net Neutrality in Public Consultation Survey